Exceptional scientists are often a bit crazy:
- Kurt Gödel starved to death when his wife was hospitalized. He was paranoid.
- John Nash suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.
- Paul Erdõs was a homeless itinerant most of his life.
- Henry Cavendish was so shy that he only communicated with his servants by writing notes.
- Theodore Kaczynski (the Unabomber) became assistant professor at the University of California at Berkeley at the age of 25, before going to live in a cabin without electricity or running water.
- Nikola Tesla was obsessive compulsive and mysophobic.
Further reading: Scientists and their emotions.