Peter Turney sent me a pointer to Academic Careers for Experimental Computer Scientists and Engineers which is somewhat old (1994) book made available online.
Here are some of the chapter titles (all are available online):
- WHAT IS EXPERIMENTAL COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING (ECSE)?
- AN ACADEMIC CAREER IN ECSE
- EDUCATIONAL DIMENSIONS OF ACADEMIC ECSE
- EVALUATING RESEARCH IN ECSE
- A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT FOR ACADEMIC ECSE
- SPECIAL NEEDS AND CONCERNS OF NON-DOCTORATE-GRANTING AND LESS RECOGNIZED INSTITUTIONS
- FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- SURVEYING THE ECSE COMMUNITY
- COMPARING JOURNAL AND CONFERENCE PUBLICATIONS