It came to me tonight. A simple idea, really.
All scientists should submit their papers where they are likely to be accepted. Oh! We all need a critical review. Sometimes we even need to be told to rewrite our paper and come back. However, scientists should not play Russian roulette.
Sending a paper to a venue where you…
- need to include or exclude certain words or concepts;
- have a good chance (say 50%) to see your work turned down (irrespective of this quality);
- must cite certain people;
- have to exaggerate your results;
- must force yourself to be more fashionable
is just wrong. We should never do it.
We should work hard. Do our very best to write excellent and honest papers, then ship them and have them published (after some revision). This should be the normal process. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.
We need less boxing, more science.
Note: I have had good luck getting my papers published this year, so I do not write this post out of spite.