In my previous post, you were invited to help with a reference implementation of external sorting in Java. Several people tested and improved the code. I like the result.
- I posted the code on Google code. All contributors are owners of the project. The source code is under subversion.
- I have added a link to it from the wikipedia page.
What is left to do?
- The code remains untested. Please run your benchmarks! Find bugs!
- Please contribute unit tests.
- Can you write a tutorial on how to use the code?
- Can you simplify the code further while making it faster and more robust?
Caveat: My intent was for the code to be in the public domain—nobody should own reference implementations—but Google code would not allow it. I selected the lesser GPL license instead, for now.
Reference: There is a fast external sorting implementation in Java by the Yahoo! people. (Thanks to Thierry Faure for pointing it out.) I have not looked at it.