- Autism affects about 1% of the population and four times as many males as females.
- In older highly educated people, drinking 2 cups of coffee a day is associated with a reduced mortality rate of 22%. (This does not mean that drinking coffee makes you less likely to die, but it might.)
- Amazon, the e-commerce giant, is entering the chip-making business with its AWS Graviton processors, designed for cloud servers and based on an ARM architecture (like the processor in your phone). The initial reports are somewhat negative.
- Student assignments are graded automatically at the University of Cafornia Berkeley, and the result is that
ratings for teaching effectiveness have reached their highest level ever in recent semesters.
(Credit: S. Downes)
- A Chinese professor helped produced two genetically edited babies. The intention is that they be immune to HIV. Harvard’s professor George Church is supportive of this bold move.