- There are nearly 70,000 centenarians in Japan.
- China’s population fell by 1.27 million in 2018.
- Obesity is associated with increased senescent cell burden and neuropsychiatric disorders, including anxiety and depression. Clearing senescent cells could alleviate these symptons.
- Women who come from families where the mother is the breadwinner are less likely to pursue a science degree at university level.
- Stronger men live longer:
Muscular strength is inversely and independently associated with death from all causes and cancer in men, even after adjusting for cardiorespiratory fitness and other potential confounders.
- Inflammation is a crude but effective part of our immune system that serves as a first line of defense. It is necessary but tends to get out of hand as we age. Arai et al. found that your level of inflammation was a potential predictor of how likely you were to reach extreme old age:
Inflammation is the prime candidate amongst potential determinants of mortality, capability and cognition up to extreme old age
- An article published by Nature argues for rejuvenation strategies:
Ageing is associated with the functional decline of all tissues and a striking increase in many diseases. Although ageing has long been considered a one-way street, strategies to delay and potentially even reverse the ageing process have recently been developed. Here, we review four emerging rejuvenation strategiesâ€”systemic factors, metabolic manipulations, senescent cell ablation and cellular reprogrammingâ€”and discuss their mechanisms of action, cellular targets, potential trade-offs and application to human ageing.
- Childhood leukaemia is a feature of developed societies and has to do with the fact that children are insufficiently exposed to bacteria and infections.
- China has landed a rover on the far side of the Moon.
- While climate change models predict that as the world warms, biomass will decompose more quickly, which would send a lot more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, new research finds that it may work the other way around: warmer temperature may reduce decomposition and carbon emissions.
- You can defeat Google’s captchas (meant to prove you are a human being) by taking the audio test and feeding it back to Google’s services to get a transcription.